Myrtle Beach, SC asked in Civil Litigation and Legal Malpractice for Florida

Q: Seeking how I ask the Bench Judge to Censure Counsel for request to Withdrawal from my case based on an erroneous claim?

I have a Privileged and Confidential letter from my Attorney making mistaken statements about a previous COMPLAINT on file and which the Judge Agreed Upon. My Counsel warned me if I disagreed with his reasoning that he would quit. I need to know how to ask the Judge to review the filings on record, but do not know if I can reveal his marked Privileged & Confidential email showing he was ignoring the adjudicated Order and the previous filing of my Complaint. I agree with his need to withdraw, but not the misrepresentation to the Judge. If permissible, I would like to request the Judge Censure him for failing his contractual fiduciary duty to his client. I don't know the wording, nor if I may forward the email marked P & C proving my claim. Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Griffin Klema
Griffin Klema
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Generally speaking, you hold the privilege (and thus the right) to keep information confidential, or to reveal it under the attorney-client privilege. Disclosing information that your attorney provided to you may not be in your best interest however, and I recommend you have another attorney review the information you want to disclose. As for pursuing your former lawyer for malpractice, those are difficult claims to prove, and you would need to start a new lawsuit against your lawyer separate from the current litigation. While you may disagree with statements your attorney made, it may not rise to the level of professional negligence (legal malpractice). Again, I suggest you speak with someone practices in that area to get an opinion on your specific situation. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.