Pelham, NY asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for New York

Q: Ex wife hasn't paid child custody & maintenance last 2 mos. Can I file contempt myself without lawyer successfully?

I am custodial parent dad with "final say" She pays child support & maintenance hasn't paid last 2 months without any notice or real explanation and paid late in November owes $4500 short. found out she is in Asia now for 3 weeks on vacation no notice. Next payment due Feb 1st. My 4 kids live with me full time visit her 4 days a month. She doesn't give notice when spending time with kids communicates directly 2 are minors didn't take them on her designated weekends for 3 months in fall without notice nor helped drive to soccer practices 2 or 3 times weekly as stipulated (6 practices per week). Cant afford lawyer. Can I successfully handle this myself? no money for lawyer. I found form for DIY non payment of child custody maintenance't paid tuition medical debts also stipulated but hear that's Supreme court Live in Westchester County NY

1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Nobody can offer you predictions. Have you considered hiring a lawyer via limited scope representation? If that too is not affordable, then you may want to spend ample time at your local law library researching how to proceed with your action. The NY Courts website also has some forms and self help resources. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, I practice law in CA, NY, MA, WA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.