Sarasota, FL asked in Child Custody for Florida

Q: A person has custodial guardianship in the "home state" in Virginia, the non custodial parent lives in Florida.

Can the custodial guardian just sign over custody when there is an ongoing court reunification that they havent been following. She stated either the non custodial parent takes them or they go to foster care. Is this possible?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Alfred Carroll
David Alfred Carroll
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Pensacola, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Unfortunately have not really given enough information. Typically if there is an ongoing case plan, guardianship plan, or other court involvement regarding children, then that court must be involved in any change of custody/guardianship/care. When the child moves across state lines you must also comply with the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act and have and Interstate Compact completed when child services are involved. You should really speak with an experienced Dependency Lawyer or experienced family Lawyer in the local area to get your best guidance. There are many issues that would need to be addressed to give you a full and complete answer.

Wishing you all the best.

David A. Carroll, Pensacola Dependency and Child Custody Lawyer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.