Orange, NJ asked in Consumer Law for New Jersey

Q: Can anyone recommend a really good attorney that handles Consumer Fraud, specifically banking fraud.

My mortgage company gave me such a hard time in trying to get a modification. I lost my primary residence because of it. "They couldn't get the numbers to work." I moved into my rental property with the same issue, getting a modification approved.

I gave up. Nine months after giving up, the stress was to much, I received an APPROVED modification in the mail! I had NO JOB, did not apply for a modification for the last nine months and I personally find this to be proof that they sabotaged me and caused me financial hardship. All this when I was dealing with a cancer diagnosis. Can anyone recommend a good consumer fraud/banking attorney. I know I have a unique and VERY GOOD case against my mortgage company.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Madeline Houston
Madeline Houston
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Fairfield, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Based on the information in your question you may have a cause of action for violation of the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act (which provides for triple economic damages plus payment of the consumer's attorneys' fees and costs), as well as common law fraud claims which would be a basis to seek punitive damages if the defendant's conduct can be proven to be sufficiently egregious. Attorneys on this type of forum are not permitted to recommend specific attorneys or themselves.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.