Fort Lauderdale, FL asked in Family Law and Child Support for Florida

Q: Can obligee have cs taken by the State of Fl for some reason? Ex says FL is keeping her cs. Or is she lying to get mo $?

Can the obligee parent have child support taken by the State of Florida for some reason? They are taking it from my check, so where is it going? Or is she lying about not getting it just to get more money out of me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Alfred Carroll
David Alfred Carroll
  • Pensacola, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You can contact the Florida Department of Revenue directly to see how the money you are paying is being handled. Typically, child support belongs to the child. Therefore, it cannot be interfered with by the court. However there are many exceptions when it comes down to child support, and it may be possible that the money is being redirected in some manner. Instead of relying on the mother to provide you with information, you should get it on your own from the department of revenue, that way you will know it is accurate.

I wish you all the best.

David A. Carroll

Attorney at Law

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.