Palm Coast, FL asked in Child Support and Divorce for Florida

Q: Filing for divorce, me and husband separated for 4 years. Newborn isn’t his. Can i ask for Zero child support?

Trying for fill out the divorce packet and I dont want to ask for child support since the child isn’t his. But it keeps saying i need to put something.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr Eric Klein
Mr Eric Klein
  • Boca Raton, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The answer to your question is not so simple, you have a complex situation. What you will need to do is disestablish paternity with your husband and establish paternity with the child’s biological father. Once you establish paternity with the biological father, then you can avoid completing the child support guidelines. Without going through this process, a judge will not allow the divorce to go through. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.