Arlington, VA asked in Estate Planning for Ohio

Q: How do I handle handle bank accounts that do not have a living benficiary listed ?

Dad died in January 2017. Mom died in October 2018. Did not get all the beneficiary designations on his accounts. As the executor of the estate can I handle this ? Do I get paid for the work I have to put into this?

There is only one other person -my younger brother.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Joseph Jaap

  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The accounts are assets of their estates, and will pass either as directed in their wills, or according to Ohio law to their children. Depending on the amount of money in the accounts, you might be able to file a simplified probate for each of your parents' estates. Ohio law provides a fee for the executor to be paid from the proceeds of the estate. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to consult an attorney in the county in which your parents were living, to review the facts and circumstances and advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.