Salem, NH asked in Family Law for New Hampshire

Q: How to inform biological father about relocating, when you don't know where he may be.

Hi, I have sole custody and sole decision for my 2 boys for 12 years now. One is now 19, but the youngest is going on 13 next month. My parenting plan states I need to give 60 days notice if I move further away. I released him from child support 11 yrs ago but I had a line added that he could see them for one overnight per week. I need to relocate out of state for work purposes. Their father has not seen them in over a year and they do not want to see him. He has not tried to contact us in about 8 months. I am not sure of his whereabouts and the court has an old address. How do I inform him? Can I send it certified and hope for the best? If I can't find him, can I relocate or could that potentially cause issues?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christine G. DeBernardis
Christine G. DeBernardis
  • Amesbury
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: You can notify by publication or seek the Court's permission to remove the child (which will also cause you to notify him when the petition is filed).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.