Addison, IL asked in Family Law for Illinois

Q: How to Revoking POA and guardianship for my elderly parent, with complications due to doctors letter?

My sister has POA over my mother granted in 2013. Also was appointed guardianship to her in 2017.

There are some limitations but it stills stands that she is guardian. My mother tried to revoke my sisters given POA. Her request and document revoking the POA dated 1/2/2019 was returned and not honored, resulting in it being invalid. Due to the fact that the court has a letter from my mothers doctors saying her cognitive comprehension is very diminished. Resulting in the revocation of POA is not being respected and not upheld to be valid. Long story short my mother doesn't want my sister to have POA and no guardianship over her.

Because, my sister is misusing her money, spending it unnecessary, and leaving her unaware of what and where her money is or going.

She is also making bad financial decisions and blaming them on my mother. Not respecting her wishes and over controlling all and every situations. My mother doesn't agree with what and how my sister is handling her estate.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

James G. Ahlberg

  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Make an appointment with an attorney in your area. Bring every scrap of paper (really, EVERY scrap of paper) you have dealing with this situation to the first appointment so he or she can get a full picture of the situation. If you have proof your sister is making bad financial decisions, bring it too.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.