Petaluma, CA asked in Civil Litigation for California

Q: We live in California Sonoma county lawyer asking for double what lien states.

Judgement and lien filed against wife in looking at papers it states $5400 from 2011. When I called to ask how to resolve they said it was now double! $9000 but states no where on the judgement. What do we really owe?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Gerald Barry Dorfman

  • Mill Valley, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Generally in California, judgements earn 10% interest per year. Certain costs can be added to judgements as well. If a judgement also provides for attorney fees, those can also be added.

Vernon Charles Tucker agrees with this answer

Vernon Charles Tucker

  • Simi Valley, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: A judgment earns 10% interest per year in California and adds up quickly over eight (8) years. You can always try to negotiate the balance down, but to answer your question you technically owe the entire principal balance plus the interest.

Gerald Barry Dorfman agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.