Greeley, CO asked in Libel & Slander and Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: Can I sue a news station for publishing the name of a family member that caused his life to be I danger?

A news station published a picture and a name of a family member along with his criminal charges and this has caused his life to be in danger. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Courtney Edwards
Courtney Edwards
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Edwards, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Unless what the new station published was false and they knew it was false or were completely reckless with regard to the truthfulness of the report, no, you cannot sue. That is public information and the press is protected by the First Amendment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.