Philadelphia, PA asked in Criminal Law for New Jersey

Q: Confiscated funds...

Money was confiscated from me, and assumed drug money. I have a receipt showing that I withdrew the same amount of money from a atm,the same day of arrest. Can I get my money back aslong as I have that "Proof"(receipt),and if so,do I have to wait until the case is over with or can a motion be submitted now showing that the money is not from drug proceeds?.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Leon Matchin

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Milltown, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The State has 90 days to file for forfeiture. If they do not then ask for the money to be returned and if they refuse then file a motion.

H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You need to wait 90 days and then if you don't get the money back you will need to file a motion and win it to get your money back, but it does sound like you have a good defense, but you will need more than just the receipt to win it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.