Saint Cloud, FL asked in Car Accidents for Florida

Q: Tow company overpriced wrecked car tow fee and threatened to sue and arrest me.

I was in an accident in Connecticut, I live in Florida and was only there for a vacation. I brought my moms car and the tow company was called by the local police, therefore, a non-consensual tow or I would've called Triple A. The tow truck company ended up wanting to charge me $550 for one night which I didn't have after having to get home and losing my job as a delivery driver in the process. Some charges were for the tow which was the legal maximum but some charges were for a piece of cling wrap over my smashed window of a totaled car totaling $55 and other cleanup and questionable not agreed upon charges. Can he sue me if I'm out of state for small claims? He threatened it a few times in a phone call but I haven't heard anything for several weeks. Owner of the car was left uninformed by the company with no contact to this day even though in ct you need to call the owner within 48 hours. He also spiked to over 1500 within a week after I told him I can't pay.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You should ask this question in Justia › Ask a Lawyer › Connecticut ›. As far as litigation in Florida small claims court is concerned, yes, he could sue you here, but chances are that he meant that he was threatening to sue you in Connecticut.

If you haven't already, contact your mother's automobile insurance company. They may have an obligation to pay the towing & impound fees.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.