Philadelphia, PA asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Juvenile Law for Pennsylvania

Q: I'm in Pennsylvania and 18y/o m. A 16 year old m didn't pay back my 200 dollars.

He challanged me to a fight, and to avoid more problems it seems like the best solution. What could happen here. Not fighting is kind of out of the option at this point.

2 Lawyer Answers
Elizabeth Tarasi
Elizabeth Tarasi pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Do not fight him.

Andrea E. Mertz
Andrea E. Mertz
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Reading, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Think this through. If you fight him, you could be accused of the criminal offense, simple assault. You will be prosecuted and could serve a lengthy term of probation or jail and substantial fines. In terms of suing him in civil court to recover the $200 on the basis of breach of contract, you unfortunately do not have a contract to enforce with the 16 year-old. By law, 16 year-old minors are incompetent to form a contract, so you cannot sue for breach of contract. Again think of the ramifications before you act.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.