Nashville, TN asked in Bankruptcy and Tax Law for Tennessee

Q: over ten years ago I filed my friend and her daughter on my taxes.She was on disability and her daughter was 13.

They did live with me at the time. the next year i filed my taxes they were red flagged cause they had sent me audit papers but I didn't live at the address anymore. I told them I could send the documents they needed and they said it was too late.Over the years it has reached up to about ten thousand. Can I file bankruptcy on this debt?

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

A: You need to speak privately with a bankruptcy attorney in your area. The discharge of tax debt in bankruptcy is highly complicated and very fact-specific. Yes, it is possible to discharge them, but there are many, many exceptions and the answer for you could differ from tax-year to tax-year. It is also possible to repay non-dischargeable tax debt off in a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

But contact a lawyer in your area to schedule a full conversation on the subject. You will not get an answer that pertains to your specific situation from the internet.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Possibly, yes, but you need an experienced bankruptcy attorney to guide you through this. It is a technical area with many exceptions and exclusions.

Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: If you find that you are unable to file for bankruptcy there may be other ways of taking care of your tax debt. Call an experienced tax attorney. Most of us offer a free consultation. Just stay away from the places you see advertised on TV. If it has been close to 10 years since you were audited and you have not done anything to stop the Statute of Limitations from running, you may be close to the end of the statute and the IRS will no longer be able to collect from you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.