Stratford, CT asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for New York

Q: What rights does a noncustodial father who has paternity of child & wants to file for child support on himself joint cus

What rights does a noncustodial father who has paternity of his child & wants to file for child support on himself to apply for joint custody, can he apply for joint custody without applying to give child support, how soon should he do this and how will it affect his income. He loves his child and wants to be apart of the childs life but he believes the mother of the baby is toxic and wants to eliminate being taken to court by her so he himself wants to do it first so he can have a system in place that she cannot alter. The child lives in Bronx County.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Licensed in New York

A: Child support is ordered at the discretion of the court in compliance with the law and after reviewing the facts on both sides. A parent can file for child custody, visitation, and child support via pleadings submitted to the court and served on the other party. The NY courts website and local law libraries can self help resources. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, I practice law in CA, NY, MA, WA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.