Dumfries, VA asked in Divorce for Virginia

Q: Is it possible to get a divorce case transferred from another state to Va? If so, would the court make that determinat?

Neither party reside in the current state, one lives here, the other in Fl. Would both parties agree to move the case or can the court make that determination?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wayne E. Holcomb
Wayne E. Holcomb
  • Newport News, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Certainly if you agree, you can dismiss your divorce suit in another state and, in essence, move it to Virginia--to file after you have lived here for at least 6 months. Even if you both do not agree, in some cases, the party that started the suit, can dismiss it there and refile here in VA. The best move for you now is to contact a VA family law attorney and run the facts by him or her for a more specific recommendation. Our best to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.