The Villages, FL asked in Traffic Tickets for Florida

Q: Got speeding ticket- WRONG: ALL car info, lic plate # (1 digit off), I was going north, It says south. Can I fight it?

I was in 2004 4 door silver Toyota, ticket says I was in 2014 2 door black Ford.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jay R. Rooth
Jay R. Rooth
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, but the officer can amend the citation prior to the hearing. However, it sounds like the officer has a bunch of facts mixed up in the citation which will help for the hearing. At the end of the day if the officer testifies under oath that he recalls you driving at excessive speed, you will most likely be found in violation, unless you are able to defend the speeding portion of the case. How did he measure your speed? Has the speed measuring device been properly maintained? Does the officer have the proper qualifications to make a determination of speed? Was the officer who wrote the citation, the officer who observed the speed? etc. There are a lot of legal avenues to explore.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.