South Bend, IN asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights and Collections for Indiana

Q: How to petition court to use time served in jail towards fine?

What is it called? I want to look up an example maybe to format mine similarly. Do I just write dear judge can you apply the extra month I served towards the bond at 20 dollars per day? Then send it to the clerk with my cause number?

I overserved my sentence by a month.

1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Plymouth, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: You can't do that. The extra time you served is lost. What you might, perhaps, do is file a petition to modify the sentence with respect to the fine imposed. That is assuming you were assessed a fine at all.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.