Peachtree City, GA asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law, Domestic Violence and Landlord - Tenant for Georgia

Q: What steps to take,my husband(soul provider & only income) gets me & our kids evicted,then leaves the home with mone

My husband left me and the kids without money or any means to honor the eviction order. Taking me off the bank account and took all money. Married 9 yrs with 2 kids 1yr old and 8 yr old I’ve not worked the entire marriage due to my lupus. This is now the 9th time he’s left in one year. He leaves never calling providing or supporting making us go without for months at a time. What can I do to delay this eviction to give me some time as he is at his moms and me and the kids have no where to go at all.

3 Lawyer Answers

Regina Irene Edwards

  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You need to file for divorce and ask for emergency financial support. You may or may not be able to delay the eviction. You will need to talk to a landlord tenant attorney about that.

Homer P Jordan IV agrees with this answer

P. Justin Thrailkill

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I agree with Ms. Edwards. You need to file for divorce and ask the court for emergency relief to allow you to find a new place and keep the kids fed. If there is an eviction order already, there is no longer anything you can do to delay it. Talk with counsel ASAP to address this.

Homer P Jordan IV agrees with this answer

Homer P Jordan IV

  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I agree with my colleagues. Consult with an attorney who can help you plan the proper course of action to file for a divorce and seek emergency financial support. I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.