Washington, DC asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Maryland

Q: In Maryland, can I obtain child support while pregnant or at least begin the process before the child is born?

I was a virgin at the time of conception, so paternity is not in question. My ex stopped communicating as soon as he learned I was pregnant, so I am hoping the courts can hold him accountable as soon as possible.

2 Lawyer Answers

Mark Oakley

  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: No. You must wait until after birth.

Dawn Renee Gould

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Frederick, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Paternity is never irrelevant. The father can always ask for a paternity test when the child is born. He can also just sign the Affidavit of Parentage which legally recognizes him as the father. You cannot get child support until the child is born and you cannot start the process for child support until the child is born. Once the child is born, you can file for custody and child support, but only after the child is born and only after the father agrees that he is the father. By law, a father is only deemed a father if you are married at the time of conception, if not married then if he signs the Affidavit of Parentage, or if not married then if he signs a court order agreeing that he is the father, then you can file for support and custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.