Hicksville, NY asked in Divorce for New York

Q: What do I have to do in order to have my maintenance that was awarded to me at trial extended? Nassau County, NY?

The trial was cut short because the judge was no longer going to be a judge due to a 5 million dollar cut to the Nassau County budget. We were in the middle of trial when this happened. I was told that i could start again with a new trial but because I didn't have the money my attorney advised me to just settle for the judges decision. I was awarded the maintenance for 9 years but that has always been used for rent money. The judge had me bring to court 3 different rentals for review and he calculated from the 3 a monetary amount for the maintenance. Now I will be 62 years old, not a long work history, which my ex husband did state to the court he was the primary bread winner and did not want me to work through out the marriage. I did get a part time job when my children got older. I looked into social Security already but my benefit would be less the $900 dollars a month. I don't have the money to hire an attorney to help me and the divorce caused me to file for bankruptcy.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani,
Ali Shahrestani,
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You say you agreed to the settlement, so I see no way to dispute it by claiming that it was involuntary, if that is what you are implying. If you're seeking to appeal the decision, there are strict deadlines that apply: https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/family/faqs_appeals.shtml. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, www.AliEsq.com. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, WA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.