Castle Rock, CO asked in Immigration Law for Colorado

Q: My fiancée is in the US with an E2 Employee Visa and is being moved, when can she move back with me after marriage?

We are planning on getting married soon and would like to know when she would be able to move back with me. I am a US citizen by birth. She is a French national with a french company. When in the process of applying for a spousal visa would that allow here to leave the company without having to leave the country?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kelli Y. Allen
Kelli Y. Allen
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC

A: Once you are married, if she is still in the U.S., she could apply for adjustment of status (process of obtaining permanent residency from within the U.S.) She would then be able to receive temporary employment authorization that would allow her to work for any employer. This will cover her until there is a final decision on her application. If she leaves the U.S., you would either need to file a fiance visa petition or spousal visa petition to get her back to the U.S. to live and work permanently. I suggest hiring an immigration attorney to assist you with any of these processes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.