Brooklyn, NY asked in Collections, Education Law and Identity Theft for New York

Q: student loan

i am being accused of a loan i have no connection with, my name is right other information are wrong i did notify higher education my information have been compromised with, i did my own investigation trying to locate the school, i was told that school was cloed years ago, i google it, they were ordered to pay the federal government back due to fraud and was closed since 2007, how do i fight this going forward, what do i do especially if i cant afford to pay? thank you so much

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Deny everything in writing. Call the US Department of Education to report the fraud as well.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.