Asked in Collections for Michigan

Q: How do I get back an engament ring I thing it has been pond

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Trent Harris

  • Collections Lawyer
  • Jackson, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: An engagement ring in a pond may be located using a metal detector. Or an engagement ring in a pawn shop might be reclaimed with proof of being the rightful owner. If you think it’s stolen, you could file a police report.

As always, you get what you pay for. Be sure to talk to a qualified attorney about your specific situation before choosing to rely on information you get from internet discussion boards such as this one.

Thomas. R. Morris agrees with this answer

Thomas. R. Morris

  • Collections Lawyer
  • Farmington Hills, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If you gave an engagement ring to your fiancée and she pawned it, that would be an anticipatory repudiation of the contract for marriage. Under Michigan law, the gift of an engagement ring is a conditional gift, so if you find it in a pawn shop, you can claim to be the owner. In other words, I agree with the other attorney’s answer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.