San Francisco, CA asked in Criminal Law, Juvenile Law and Military Law for California

Q: I was arrested for the following when I was 12.. I am now 26 and recently made contact with the attorney

that represented me in juvenile court. He suggested and is confident we can successfully unseal my record, file a motion to reduce all felonies to misdemeanors, file a secondary motion to have the case dismissed by a judge, and re-seal the record. By doing so, will that make me eligible for enlistment? I am seeking a SO contract and will eventually need a security clearance. Will this be discovered during the background check? Will the case being dismissed by a judge make any sort of difference than not taking those legal steps?

Conspiracy to Commit a Crime (felony – 182PC): Dismissed

Burglary, 2nd degree (misdemeanor – 460BPC): Dismissed

Vandalism, $400 or less (misdemeanor – 594b2PC): Dismissed

Vandalism, $400 or more (felony – 594b1PC) x 2: Dismissed x 2

Vandalism, $400 or more (felony – 594b1PC) x 4: Sustained x 4

Theft, $100 or less (misdemeanor – 484PC): Sustained

Theft (misdeameanor– 484PC): Dismissed

1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani,
Ali Shahrestani,
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in California

A: CA Penal Code 17b relates to reductions of crimes for juveniles, depending on the circumstances. See:

As for information in a background check, typically such checks uncover all arrests that are publicly listed; but it depends on the thoroughness of the background check and the entity running the check. As for whether it will preclude you from a particular job with the US government, for example, again that depends on the job and security detail related to the position. Also see:

More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, I practice law in CA, NY, MA, WA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.