Londonderry, NH asked in Family Law for New Hampshire

Q: If there is a parenting plan in place but need to change it. The father is living in motels and I have a stable living

He has been verbally abusive as well. Is this good to be able to change the plan? What do I need to do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew S. Winters
Andrew S. Winters
  • Concord, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: The law allows you to ask to modify a parenting plan for certain reasons. The list of reasons is found in this statute:

Here is a list of court instructions on how to file a petition to modify

And here is a link to the petition form itself:

Also, in cases of a true emergency you can file what is called an ex parte petition. The juge will only allow that in cases of a true emergency. The instructions for that are:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.