Washington, DC asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Maryland

Q: My ex- husband has sole and physical custody of my kid in MD. who is responsible for the child medical expenses ?

My ex- husband has sole and physical custody of my kid in MD. who is responsible for the child medical expenses ?

Sole legal and physical custody/ The custodial and non-custodial parent : Who is responsible for medical expenses ?My son is hospitalized and the insurance requires a co-pay, my ex husband has blocked me from communicating with the doctors several times, telling them that he has custody and he doesn't give permission to talk to me about my son's health condition. Now my ex wants me to pay 40% of the medical bills.I barely see my son but I am a caring mom and I have been always trying to communicate with his doctor. I don't find fair that now my ex- wants money. He makes $250k and I make 69K. Please help me where I can find the sole legal and physical custody MD Law articles and what is my right. The court order doesn't specify at all. This order was not written by the judge, my ex- husband wrote the order and I was obligated to sign it.

Related Topics:

1 Lawyer Answer
Dawn Renee Gould
Dawn Renee Gould
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If a Judge didn't sign an Order, then you don't have an Order at all. If you signed an agreement with your ex, then whatever the agreement states, is what you need to abide by unless you file to strike the agreement. If you don't abide by it or even if he doesn't abide it, one or both of you can file contempt for violating the agreement. By law, both parents have a right to access medical and school records. Legal custody means the right to make decisions on the medical care, not the right to block access to medical records.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.