Goshen, NY asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Estate Planning for New York

Q: My father inherited a car from my uncle who died. He tried to get it titled and DMV came to house & police repossessed i

Car was bought for $4000 and there was a another witness when transaction took place, but when my uncle died his fiance couldn't find the title. Married woman was selling car and it turns out she was getting divorced and it was not going well. When husband found out apparently he reported car as stolen. My father called the DMV and they walked him through process to get a new title. 3 months later he got a letter to go to an inspection station and a DMV employee would inspect car to make sure it was the correct vin to issue a new title.(this is done on salvage in NY also) Car is really rough and does not run so he called back and they said they could stop by and check it out. He told him it had multiple tarps on it and was covered with snow and ice and he could wait till spring, but they persisted. He left work to go to his house and multiple cars from the DMV and state police showed up. They seized car. What recourse does he have? They said insurance company owns it now.

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: None. He never owned the car, and he knew it since he had no title.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.