Dallas, TX asked in Criminal Law and Animal / Dog Law for Texas

Q: A rescue has my dog & refuses to return him. I've provided all proof of ownership & they still refuse to return him.

My dog went missing and somehow a rescue got him. They never posted him as found. I saw him posted up for adoption on the rescues Facebook page. I contacted them & gave all proof of ownership but they refuse to give him back. They are known for doing this and charge $400 for purebred dogs. My dog is a purebred pomeranian. Since I have provided proof of ownership and they don't deny that it's my dog & still refuse to give him back, isn't this theft since dogs are still considered property in Texas? I went to the police but they say it's a civil matter. They really don't know much about how to proceed with something like this...

1 Lawyer Answer

Grant St Julian III

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You may file a civil suit, request a restraining order which prohibits sale of the dog and its return. Contact a an attorney in your area. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.