Asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: Can the officer arrest a person with just a search warrant?

If a "search warrant" list an address and item for search and seizure can an officer enter a different address to search for that item? Can a search warrant serve as a arrest warrant with no persons name or that persons address?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Kiele Linroth Pace

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: A peace officer may arrest you for ANY offense committed in his presence or within his view. There are many other situations where no arrest warrant is required. See chapter 14 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure for details.

As for entering a different address to search, the legality of such a search would depend on multiple factors that should be discussed privately with your criminal defense attorney, rather than in an online forum. Any evidence obtained pursuant to an illegal search is subject to suppression. See article 38.23 Texas Code of Criminal Procedure

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.