Atlanta, GA asked in Tax Law for South Carolina

Q: Is it illegal for my children's father to file them on his taxes without a signed 8332 form from me, the mom?

My children's father has forged my name on 3 years of tax returns and for the last 2 years, he has filed our children, without my permission. I have asked him repeatedly not to do this. So my question is, can the non custodial parent be penalized for not having a signed form 8332 from the custodial parent? He even lied on his taxes that he filed this year and said that our children lived with him all year long and he gave me my children back on Thanksgiving, which is a complete lie. Please help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Frank Huerta Jr
Frank Huerta Jr

A: If your husband forged your name that is illegal. Unfortunately many non-custodial parents do not fill out the 8332 when they file. If you are entitled to claim the children you will likely have to paper file since the children's social security numbers have been used and you will not be able to file electronically if your ex filed first. You will then likely have to prove that the children lived with you most of the year and you provided for more than 50% of their expenses.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.