Nashville, TN asked in Tax Law for Tennessee

Q: 2010 earned income credit and child tax credit

In 2009 I filed a tax return I claim both my nephew's who I was supporting I was audited by the IRS it took me three years to resolve the matter in 2010 I filed my return and I claim them both again which was denied I filled out form 8862 and submit it to them I was refund 2009 return and only the taxes I paid in for 2010 but never got the child tax credit and earned income credit for that year. Has the statute of limitations ran out do I have any legal recourse to get the money they owe me for the tax credits from 2010?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Refunds are limited to three years from the return filed date or two years from the date paid.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.