Buckeye, AZ asked in Child Support for Arizona

Q: What penalties will there be for a parent with no custody voluntarily going to inpatient rehab while owing child support

Dad with no custody pays child support payment plus back child support payment every month and is wanting to turn his life around for his kids by voluntarily going to an inpatient rehab. He will have to quit his job to go so he wants to know if he will face any penalties for going to rehab because he won’t be able to make his child support payments while in rehab.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rich J. Peters
Rich J. Peters
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Under Arizona law, he will continue to old child support even while he is in rehab unless he takes steps. It would be my suggestion that he file a petition for temporary modification of child support. While Arizona law allows mother to pursue child support as if father is still working, I believe he would have a very strong position to think that the court impute no income during his time of Rehabilitation.

We can certainly help him consider and then pursue his options for seeking a temporary modification of child support.. This is obviously a very important matter, and he should not go in alone.

One of our attorneys can explain the issues and procedures better in person. As you can imagine, there is too much to cover via email. We offer free 1/2 hour consultations, in which we can discuss your matter in detail.

Please call us directly to discuss the specifics of your matter, or contact my assistant Maddy or my paralegal Jerica to schedule a free 1/2 hour consultation.

/s/Rich J. Peters

Attorney at Law

1422 N. 2nd Street Suite 100

Phoenix, Arizona 85004



Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.