Amarillo, TX asked in Real Estate Law for Oklahoma

Q: Do we have a case?

My husbands grandmother passed and her property is almost up for taxes. It is his step dad’s mother but he raised him. None of the other family want anything with us (they are druggies and we are law enforcement) and they have no funds to probate and don’t wish to. They want to mooch off of the land and property until taxes takes it. We don’t mind paying the taxes but we would want the property in our name (it’s in 3 generations names at this time because no one ever transferred anything). I am 100% willing to hire a lawyer I just want to know if we would have a chance at getting this property if we are the ones who probate.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben F Meek III
Ben F Meek III

A: There isn't enough information to determine whether your husband would end up with the property through probate. It may be simpler to keep an eye on the property and buy it at a tax sale. You might have to outbid someone but would likely get the property for a song either way. Or you may be able to buy out the family members that have interests. You and your husband should bring what papers you have relating to the property and any Wills his ancestors left behind and go see an experienced probate lawyer. Many, including me, offer free initial consultations.

Richard Winblad agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.