Gaithersburg, MD asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Maryland

Q: I’m separating from my husband &want to move out of Maryland to another state and there’s no custody arrangement

Our relationship isn’t healthy and my daughter isn’t close with him. I have proof of him leaving her in the dark for 30 minutes when I went to work. He cheats on me and for the first 4 months of when our youngest was born, he wasn’t there at all. CPS came and did an investigation and told me I should leave because it’s not healthy here. Even my daughter teacher said my husband has not been involved in anything for Abbie regarding school that I’m the only one who’s been doing everything school wise for her.

1 Lawyer Answer
Dawn Renee Gould
Dawn Renee Gould
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: It's probably prudent to file for custody prior to moving. However, without a custody agreement, you are free to move anywhere. The risk that you run if you move with your daughter is your husband filing for custody and then you'll have to return to MD to defend the suit. You said that you are separating so a custody agreement can be part of your separation agreement and if he agrees to all property distribution as well then you won't have a waiting period to get divorced.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.