Memphis, TN asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Education Law for Tennessee

Q: My 9 yr old was slammed on his back twice by bs gym teacher

My 9 yr old was slammed on his back twice by bs gym teacher and it is currently being investigated by the department of children services. The principal and myself contacted Dcs... The principal contacted Dcs and reported it as abuse of a child by a school administrator... my son has ADHD and take Adderall daily... He has a IEP with the school and has had it since kindergarten...Is there any other actions I can take? The school won't tell me the specifics of their findings, provide an incident report or copy of my complaint... The Dcs worker asked my son was his feet touching the floor when the teacher had him jacked up against the wall and he said no.... I am furious and I cannot let this go... Is there anything else I can do?

2 Lawyer Answers

Mr. Kent Thomas Jones Esq.

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: From my experience with DCS, they are fairly active in cases like this. Your other alternative is to file a lawsuit against everybody involved: the school principal, the gym teacher, the school and anyone else involved. When you are dealing with a school system, there may be initial administrative hurdles to overcome first. It will be too complicated to do yourself. You should find an attorney that will consult with you on price and approach.

1 user found this answer helpful

Tim Akpinar


A: In terms of timetables, keep in mind that public schools could possibly be protected by short notice of claim requirements that can apply to city and municipal entities in general.

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.