Pulaski, VA asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for North Carolina

Q: Mom lived in Va & owned property in NC. I’m the beneficiary & live in Va. What are the steps to transferring to me?

My mother lived & died in Va. The will has been probated in Va without any issues. My brother & I are co-executors to her Estate. We have a letter of qualification from the clerk of court. I live in Va in the same county as her. My brother lives in Ala. We are the sole beneficiaries. She owned a small piece of undeveloped property in N.C. Everything in her estate is paid for & the is no outstanding debt. What is the procedure for having the deed transferred to us?

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Evan Lohr
Charles Evan Lohr
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: A certified copy of the will and the probate file must be filed with the clerk of court in the county where the real property is located and an order or probate entered there. Depending on the county, there are sometimes es additional steps that must be taken. Feel free to co text me if you need assistance.

Best regards,

Evan Lohr



Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.