Louisville, KY asked in Libel & Slander for Florida

Q: Out of state small claims court question

My florist violated our wedding contract and did not bring the flowers/colors of flowers we agreed upon and instead brought, dying, wilted, brown flowers to our wedding that were not the right color or flowers agreed upon in our paying contract. When I called her the day of the wedding she was argumentative with me and wouldn't answer my questions about why she violated our contract and instead argued with me about colors of flowers. After the wedding I contacted her and was told she had a death in the family and could not speak to me all week by her assistant. She has not returned my phone calls or emails in 2 weeks. She did not give us what was agreed upon in our contract. I left negative reviews online, and now she is threatening to sue for defamation for my negative, truthful review. I live out of state from where the wedding was performed. Does my lawyer have to be from Florida since the violation of contract took place in Florida or can the lawyer be from my home state?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It depends. If the suit is filed in Florida, the lawyer must be admitted to practice law in Florida. If it's filed in your home state, the lawyer would have to be admitted to practice in your home state.

It's not clear which possible suit you are asking about: the breach of contract or the defamation. Of course one could be a counter-claim to the other.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.