Glen Burnie, MD asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Maryland

Q: can I serve a show cause order via Facebook if I’m having problems serving the person in person and mail and the sherif

I have made several attempts too have the defendant served with a show cause order I have mailed certified 7 times went too her job contacted friends and family and been too her home in which she was home looking out the window while my friend was knocking on the door. She refused too answer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: No. Pay $50-75 to have a private professional process server make service, and if the defendant continues to evade service, the process server will prepare an affidavit of the attempts to serve and reasons why they believe the defendant is deliberately avoiding service. Based on that affidavit, you can file a motion for alternative service, requesting a court order to allow service by first class mail and posting a copy on her door.

Dawn Renee Gould agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.