Chester, MD asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Maryland

Q: Chance of full custody if sons father hasn’t been a part in over a year and has shown no interest of being a part

Sons father wanted an abortion, was verbally suicidal, showed no interest, hasn’t seen son in over a year and recently contacted said he was okay if things stayed the same. He admitted to looking on social media to see sons up bringing but no contact when in state (and at same work place) to see son. I’m looking to get full custody of legal rights and child support only if there’s no possibility of court forcing father rights if retaliated due to child support request.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dawn Renee Gould
Dawn Renee Gould
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: No attorney can guarantee what a court will do. Custody involves many factors and it also depends upon what is testified to at trial by you, him, and witnesses, if there is a trial. Much more information would be needed to assess the probability of you getting court ordered physical and legal custody. You may also try to resolve it through agreement rather than litigation. An attorney can draft a custody agreement and see if he signs it, then file it with the court. But again, too many unknowns to determine outcome at this point.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.