Smyrna, TN asked in Child Support for Oklahoma

Q: My exes lives in Mustang Ok. I’m in Tn. Having his 43k back support reduced to a judgement to be collected in ok

My ex has not paid CS in 13 years, not because he can’t pay it, he just simply won’t. Not only has he successfully avoided garnished wages, he has successfuly avoided any kind of cosequence for not paying. He’s not going to pay a judgement either . He just won’t,he has not come to see his now 17 yr old daughter since age 3. Since the age of 3 he has not sent one card, gift, bday phone call and not a penny. Even when she reached out to him when she got older. The man is going laugh at the judgment and act like it’s not even there and he will work under the table or hop from job to job before it can get garnished. My question is this. What can I do to have him punished in ok when he does not pay.? Can he go to jail and work there to pay it? Can he be made to always have a job? What can I do because it’s no ok.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean
  • Pryor, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: He can be charged in Oklahoma with a felony (prison time) when delinquency is over $5000. See your local state child support agency to refer to Oklahoma for help. Also, you can try to hire an experienced family law attorney in the county where he lives to assist in trying to get felony charges filed. This can be the very best way to get payments. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.