Richmond, VA asked in Child Custody for Virginia

Q: I pay child support for my daughter that’s 5 but I have not seen her in 5 years. What can I do?

Her mother kept her from me and I still try to pay my child support. She moved out of state and I don’t know what to do. I want to see my daughter and get to know her. I’ve called her mother phone but after she figure out it’s me calling she hang up and don’t answer again. She’s married now with another child, and her husband is playing father to my baby. Without my consent to take her. I don’t have visitation set up. I have spoke to agencies but no one will give me the necessary information to get visitation rights to my daughter. Also my name is on her birth certificate and my daughter no longer live in the state.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Christopher Miller
Michael Christopher Miller
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Vienna, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Child support is an entirely separate matter from custody/visitation. Neither is dependent on the other.

File a petition for custody/visitation in the local court where your daughter resides.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.