Clinton, MD asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Maryland

Q: Default hearing for custody

Were scheduled for a default hearing for custody, visitation and support for my child. We had a private processing server serve him but he didn’t respond in the time frame (30 days). An order of default was granted and a default hearing is scheduled, what should I expect at this hearing.What happens if he doesn’t show, is he required to show up? Will he still be able to respond. We broke up because he physically assaulted me, Will this be taken into consideration as well?

1 Lawyer Answer
Dawn Renee Gould
Dawn Renee Gould
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Typically, an Order of Default is granted in these types of scenarios but also the other parent may show up for the hearing, even though the other parent didn't file an Answer. Regardless, testimony will be taken a the hearing and the Judge will make a ruling based on the testimony and evidence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.