Ulster Park, NY asked in Estate Planning, Elder Law and Social Security for New York

Q: I am a disabled man on SSI. I am on Medicaid. I'm in rehab for a stroke in 5/18 I received a small inheritance

The inheritance is $3636.00. I am due to get out of Northeast Center early 3/19 in a Medicaid program called TBI Waiver. Med resource is under $2,000, SSI would be problematic and I haven't called them, I received the check today. I want to do the right thing to do, I don't speak well on the phone or computerized phone directories (Auditory Processing Disorder) and I need to smoothly and neatly resolve with these government agencies. I have serious health issues and problems getting medical doctors, medications, housing would be disastrous.

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: While technically this should be declared to Medicaid, it is too modest a sum for anyone to chase after you. Just deposit the check.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.