Waynesboro, PA asked in Child Support for Maryland

Q: My husband hasn't forced my daughter to finish school (homeschool) she's 19 and I'm still paying child support.

He says I have to pay while she is still being schooled? Is this true?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Dawn Renee Gould

  • Frederick, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Not true. If the child is 18 and still enrolled in school, then yes, but once the child turns 19 your obligation stops. HOWEVER, if you have a court order to pay, it does not stop automatically, you should file a motion to terminate child support based on the fact that she is 19. If you have an agreement between the two of you and NOT a court order, then you pay according to your agreement, you can still file to set aside the agreement though.

Mark Oakley

  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: No. Stop paying as of her 19th birthday, unless there is a specific agreement you signed that says you agree to pay longer. By law, a child is emancipated on her 18th birthday, but that time is delayed if she is still in full-time school until she completes her last year (typically May-June when she graduates 12th grade); however, the absolute cut-off is her 19th birthday if she is still in school through that date.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.