Wendell, NC asked in Probate for North Carolina

Q: Is there a database of wills recorded by lawyers?My stepmom now claims there is no will. Before death, a will spoken of.

My father mentioned their will a few times over the years. My Step mom mentioned the will just days before his death. She stated she would get everything. I discovered she closed estate on same day it was filed. She stated no will existed or has been found. Upon my request to see his will, a year after his death, she had her lawyer send me letter stating she gets everything since property/accounts held jointly and no will existed. The letter stated I was entitled to nothing. I have been bewildered. My father was diagnosed with cancer two years prior to death. We were close. He had mentioned a will in the past. He asked me for my SS# years ago, to add me as a type of beneficiary to an account of some kind. But now there is no will??

Since this is legally now intestate, because of how my step mom filed, I guess Im entitled to nothing?

They lived and she still lives in Leland NC, I am in Wendell NC.

I’m ready to move on but hard to let go of this matter. Help?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sara W. Harrington
Sara W. Harrington
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Carrboro, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: There is no database to find out whether someone had a will and, if so, who drafted it. You contact local attorneys' offices, let them know your father is deceased and see if they have a will for him on file. You can also go to the Clerk's office with his death certificate and see if they have his will in their vault.

If your father's financial accounts listed her as the beneficiary or TOD, then she would receive those assets outside of the estate -- whether or not there was a will.

Regarding real estate and personal property, such as vehicles, furniture, cash on hand, money owed to him, accounts without a named beneficiary, etc., the laws of intestate succession require that those assets be divided between the spouse and the children. The percentage is determined by the number of children.

I recommend you contact an attorney in the county where your father lived and consult with them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.