New Market, MD asked in Child Custody for Maryland

Q: Is there anything mother can do about father allowing child to miss 2 days school for a visit? She has tie breaker.

We have our child for a holiday coming up and then have them for a family event the next week. Their mother wants us to bring back from out of state for just 2 days of school. Then pay to fly them out again for the family event. It’s a lot of unnecessary travel for 2 school days. Do we have to do it since she has tie breaker in custody? Can she do anything if we do not bring them back for those 2 days??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dawn Renee Gould
Dawn Renee Gould
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: That's really a loaded question. It depends upon what your custody agreement states regarding access/visitation. If the mother of the child has tie-breaker regarding access/visitation then yes, she can file contempt if you don't bring the child back, again, depending upon what your order states. Additionally, if the child misses school without the mother's permission and the child is in your custody then that can be seen as an additional cause for contempt. An attorney may better assist you with understanding your court order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.