Brownfield, ME asked in Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: Paying deceased grandmother's prop. taxes 7yrs. Uncle & mom have not carried out will. What can I do to obtain prop.?

The property is in Miami Fl., I would like to be able to insure it. After my grandmother passed away in my house in Naples, Fl my uncle and mother (her children) never carried out the will. My mother states she doesn't want to see my uncle and I simply have not spoken to my uncle since she passed. What do I need to do legally to have the property placed under my name. I have contact information for both my uncle and my mother. Please advise

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Paul Zaretsky
Richard Paul Zaretsky
  • West Palm Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: This is not going to be a straight forward process. Probably a probate needs to be open for the grandmother. Then the question is does she have a will or is there no will. Then the question is to whom does the house pass either by the terms of the will or by law.

It may be that you are not entitled to the house - except perhaps by default and abandonment of the house by heirs that may come before you, like your mother and uncle assuming they are the children of your grandmother.

You really need to have an attorney address all these issues.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.