Bronx, NY asked in Contracts and Education Law for New York

Q: I want to sue a NYS College. I dont know where to begin, can you help

In the term yr I was given a grant. I could not use such grant because i was not in compliance with Federal Law requirements. So I was told to wait 1 year. I did.. I got a email that there was a change in my grant (meaning it was now available) the grant was for a few thousand and was available for me to use as per my student account. This amount did not pay my full tuition therefore I made an agreement to make 3 monthly installment payments to cover the balance. Well mid way thru I recieved a email that said my balance was in the thousands. I called the school and they said because of something from over 1 yr prior I am ineligible for the grant. I would have never signed up for a full schedule of classes of the grant wasn't made available. I dont know what legal remedy I have since the school says.. The higher education had an Audit .. and I need to call them meanwhile I called them and they said"schools do this all the time them not us"

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Michael David Siegel

  • Education Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: To whom do you owe the money? If the school, write a letter denying the debt, and wait to be sued. If the Higher Education Authority or USDOE, then check your credit report and see how it is reflected and reach out to them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.